Re: [Orgmode] XHTML export -   etc.

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] XHTML export -   etc.
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 21:20:03 +0100

> Shouldn't they be `&endash;' and `&emdash;' in HTML?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html#a_dtd_Symbols

  You mean – and —
  – and — for -- and --- respectively is ok. I think there
exist no ---- and -----
  ­ with \-    and     with ~   are also good... There exists
also ​  (zero-width space), but that's not a sign for breaking
words into syllables; ­ is in addition better implemented.

   That means that following signs:
\-
~
--
---
   would have a special meaning when being exported on all org documents.

   I don't know if ~ is a good election. It should be looked for
inside of words (li~ke this), but probably excluding URLs. Maybe that
causes more problems to the users who want to write a literal ~.
   The symbol for „breaking allowed" could also be \~ ...  That's an
inconsistency with LaTeX ~, but is consistent with LaTeX's \-   And
that would leave ~ untouched and just use \- and \~ for hyphenation.

   Greets,
Daniel