Re: [Orgmode] org mode vs basecamp

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org mode vs basecamp
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:27:13 +0200

Hi,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> But I guess the important side of your question is: can I use Org as a
> *collaboration* tool?
>
> Well -- please do :)
>
> 1. One idea is to put an Org file on a CVS server, letting people check
>    it in and out, so that everybody knows what he has to-do and what is
>    the state of the project.
>
> 2. Another idea is to give someone the responsability to maintain an Org
>    file dispatching to-do list items through the team, displaying clear
>    deadlines, tasks status, etc.
>
> 3. The third idea is to let a web interface directly operate changes on
>    underlying Org files. I think this is achievable: Org files are text,
>    but with a reasonable set of conventions to format them we could edit
>    them through another tool.

in my mind lives another idea which is close to your #3: use a wiki as
a backend (currently I'm thinking about oddmuse).

- Write an extension to oddmuse which displays org-syntax as HTML.
  Has to be written in Perl, probably could reuse lots of regexps from
  org.el. A really fancy extension would render checkboxes and the
  like, but I don't know whether this is achievable.
- Instead of find-file and save-buffer one could use oddmuse-edit and
  oddmuse-post from [1].
- Setup auto-mode-alist to set org-mode when opening such a wikipage,
  or put a -*-modeline into the wikipages

One of the benefits is that the other collaborateurs would not have to
use emacs (which they don't in my case), they would "just" have to
write the correct wiki-syntax.  Publishing, history, user-tracking,
remote-access, etc. all comes for free.

I'll try to find some time during the next weeks to start with the
oddmuse-extension, but I can't see when that will happen.  It has to
fill the time-slots when they come up ;-)

Kind Regards
Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OddmuseMode

--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)