[Orgmode] downloads of old releases

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: [Orgmode] downloads of old releases
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:19:58 +0100

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 03:34:24PM +0100, Leo wrote:
> On 2007-10-18 13:04 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have made a new page for links to tutorials
> >
> >     http://orgmode.org/tutorials.html
> >
> > Unfortunately it is still mostly a list of areas where I
> > could imaging a tutorial would be very useful, so let
> > yourself be inspired!
> >
> > - Carsten
>
> Many thanks. It is informative. There are quite a few tutorials that I
> haven't read before.

While you're revamping the website ;-) I'd like to make a small
request concerning downloads of older releases.  I know that some are
still available, e.g.

  http://orgmode.org/org-5.10b.zip

However that requires trawling through the list archives to find the
relevant announcement, so it would be great if the full list was
available.  If you are using a webserver such as Apache which has the
ability to generate HTML directory indexes, this would easily be
achieved simply by creating a downloads subdirectory, moving all the
zip files there, and configuring the webserver to make the directory
browsable.  In Apache, I think that's:

  <Directory /downloads>
     Options +Indexes
  </Directory>

The reason for asking is that access to historical releases allows us
to do things like spot regressions and also correlate items in the
Changes webpage with actual code, in order to figure out exactly how
things work.

Of course, the ideal scenario would be to expose a mercurial or git
repository with all the releases tagged, but I don't want to ask for
too much ;-)

Thanks!
Adam