Re: [Orgmode] Categories

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Categories
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:56:45 +0100

Richard G Riley <address@hidden> writes:

>> The CATEGORY property does the same job than the old #+CATEGORY, except
>> that its scope is well defined, i.e. we don't need to bother anymore on
>> where #+CATEGORY has to be.
>
> Did you before?

IIRC this was a recurrent issue on this list.

>> ,----
>> | (setq org-remember-templates
>> |       '((?c "* %?\n   :PROPERTIES:\n   :CATEGORY: %^{Category}\n
>> :END:\n\n  %i\n" "~/org/todo.org" "Tasks")))
>> `----
>
> Almost. There is no completion or "pick" for the available categories. I
> would expect something like a "tab for completion" field similar to set
> tag for a task.

Yes.  We can imagine something like %^c (prompt for a category with
proper completion).  But then why not %^s for the SUMMARY property?
And %^d for the DESCRIPTION property?  My answer try to avoid going
into this, since I (still) think handling properties from within a
remember template is a bit too much.  But I might be wrong.

>> Inserting properties (including the CATEGORY property) interactively
>> from a template looks a bit too much for me.  But not using remember
>> very often, and only for taking quick notes -- not editing my main
>> Org file.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. One of the most important task properties is
> the category I would have though.

You can use property inheritance.  Ask your remember template to put the
entry in the right subtree, and use a category for that entry only.

Isn't this more simple?

--
Bastien