Re: [Orgmode] Categories

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Categories
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:27:46 +0200

On Oct 12, 2007, at 16:12, Richard G Riley wrote:

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

Richard G Riley <address@hidden> writes:

The CATEGORY property does the same job than the old #+CATEGORY, except that its scope is well defined, i.e. we don't need to bother anymore on
where #+CATEGORY has to be.

Did you before?

IIRC this was a recurrent issue on this list.

,----
| (setq org-remember-templates
| '((?c "* %?\n :PROPERTIES:\n :CATEGORY: %^{Category}\n :END:\n\n %i\n" "~/org/todo.org" "Tasks")))
`----

Almost. There is no completion or "pick" for the available categories. I would expect something like a "tab for completion" field similar to set
tag for a task.

Yes.  We can imagine something like %^c (prompt for a category with
proper completion).  But then why not %^s for the SUMMARY property?
And %^d for the DESCRIPTION property?  My answer try to avoid going
into this, since I (still) think handling properties from within a
remember template is a bit too much.  But I might be wrong.

Inserting properties (including the CATEGORY property) interactively
from a template looks a bit too much for me.  But not using remember
very often, and only for taking quick notes -- not editing my main
Org file.

I'm not sure I understand. One of the most important task properties is
the category I would have though.

You can use property inheritance. Ask your remember template to put the
entry in the right subtree, and use a category for that entry only.

I do. e.g

,----
|  '(org-remember-templates
|
|            (?e "* %U %^{Title}\n %i\n %a\n" "~/org/todo.org" "Emacs")
`----

I think we are talking at cross purposes.

A category is the A number one most important property for task
organization I would have thought.

I can already place them in the right org file section using the
template and others like it above.

But there appears to be no way to manipulate them then e.g move to other
category other can cut and paste.

Possibly my total ignorance of "properties" is the issue here as I can
find no examples of their use or how an end user should utilise them. I
am assuming from your words here that "category" is merely a property.

,----
| > You can use property inheritance. Ask your remember template to put the
| > entry in the right subtree, and use a category for that entry only.
`----

What do you mean the right subtree? I already, through the template, put
it into the right sub section delimited by the category property. What
do you mean by "use a category for that entry only"? Do you mean only
the sub tree has a category property? In this case that is what I have -
sections of tasks with a category section separating them. e.g

,----
| * FaceBook
|
| :PROPERTIES:
| :CATEGORY: FaceBook
| :END:
|

| * Emacs
|
| :PROPERTIES:
| :CATEGORY: Emacs
| :END:
|
| ** [2007-10-12 Fri 15:03] How to use categories in org-mode
|
| [[gnus:nnmaildir%2BMyMail:DevelopmentEmail#874][Email from Bastien: Re: Orgmode Categories]]
`----

My original question is how to assign the task above to another category
nice and easily and not using cut and paste? Is it possible? ideally I
would, as with tags, have the ability to choose from all existing
categories in use in the current file.

You can add a category property to the entry, and that will overrule the
category that might be inherited from above. With the latest org-mode 5.12, press `C-c C-x p'. This will prompt you for a property name, enter CATEGORY
(using completion).  The it will ask you for the category itself and you
can enter it, again using completion against existing categories (given as properties *anywhere* in the file. So this will not see the #+CATEGORY lines,
only the

  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: work
  :END:

definitions.

You can also insert a line

#+PROPERTY: CATEGORY_ALL work home phone whendrunk

to define a complete list of categories.

Note that setting the property wil change the category of the item,
but it will *not* move it to a different place in the file.  If I
understand correctly, this is what you want.

- Carsten