Re: [Orgmode] Integration of Org mode and mairix

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Integration of Org mode and mairix
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:46:38 +0200

On Aug 14, 2007, at 13:29, Adam Spiers wrote:
In this case, wouldn't a syntax

  gnus:mairix:.....
  vm:mairix:.....

be better?

Possibly - that depends on whether any user would ever want to create
links which fired up more than one MUA

With the possible exception that you'd like GNUS for usenet messages
and some mailing application for your mail?

I can't think of a use case for the
former, and the latter seems cleaner (and means that if you change MUA
you don't have to do a search/replace on all your links),

This is a good point.

Personal plea: please bear in mind those of us who use MUAs not based
in emacs!  For example, my preferred action when following a mairix
link is to pop up a fresh xterm with `mutt -f $mairix_folder' running
inside it.

Yes, this should be made possible.

So far I have liked the fact that many more common Emacs packages
are integrated with Org-mode right out of the box, and that no setup
steps are needed.  However, with this indexing stuff, it seems that
the time for a general extension mechanism has come - this will also
allow many other hacks.  Bastien, I looked at your code, and I want
to propose to you to modify it in the following way - making it
closer to how John Wiegley has implemented it for planner/wiki/muse.

This leads to the other point I wanted to make, although its scope is
possibly too great for this list: I would greatly prefer any such
solution to allow hyperlinking from within other modes - muse in
particular.  Perhaps this could be done via orgstruct, or maybe the
org and muse camps could get together and agree to standardize on a
single syntax for hyperlinking, e.g. implemented via a shared minor
mode.

What are the differences?  The basic structure

[[link][description]]

is already the same.  So I guess you are referring to things like
how the message-id is attached to the link, and how targets are specified?

It is certainly possible to write a command that would correctly open
an Org-mode style link in any buffer.  Could even be a separate minor
mode, just for this one command.  I'll take a look.

- Carsten