Re: [Orgmode] radio transmit links across files

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] radio transmit links across files
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 09:04:21 +0100

Hi Mark,

On Mar 4, 2007, at 12:52, Mark Aufflick wrote:

Hi All,

I have to say I'm loving org-mode, I'm using it for taking notes and
writing papers for my (just started) Masters of law degree (a bit of a
change for a programmer!)

What I want to do is have a single file where I keep a list of terms,
acronyms, etc, and have that one file "radio" links out to any other
org mode file.

I know that I can make links across files to specific headings, but I
want the existance of a term in the file to automatically be linked in
other files - so the same functionality as radio links - but
transmitting across files.

Has anyone ever implemented such a beast?

At a guess I would need to extend org-update-radio-target-regexp to
run org-all-targets on the terms file. My lisp is fairly limited at
this stage, however, so any pointers would be appreciated!

Something like this could easily be implemented, as you say along
the lines of the radio targets, but making links to a different file.

The main problem with such an approach is that it quickly becomes
a performance issue.  It is ok for a few terms, but if you accumulate
a large number of terms, and if you want to use font-lock to activate
words as links, this means that after each letter you type, font-lock
will have to match all words in the current line against all those terms.
This can become slow.

Another approach would be to do it on demand, by replacing matches in
the file with explicit links like

#+LINK: term file:terms.org::%s

 word   ->  [[term:word][word]]

I guess the problem with this approach might be that you might also
*remove* terms, and so these links will point into nothingness.
A remedy would be to find all the term: links and remove them first, then
got through the file again and create new links.

- Carsten

Mark.

--
Mark Aufflick