Re: [Orgmode] radio transmit links across files

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] radio transmit links across files
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:48:07 +0100

On Mar 7, 2007, at 16:12, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

On 3/7/07, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
The main problem with such an approach is that it quickly becomes
a performance issue.  It is ok for a few terms, but if you accumulate
a large number of terms, and if you want to use font-lock to activate
words as links, this means that after each letter you type, font-lock
will have to match all words in the current line against all those
terms.
This can become slow.

Hi.  A question from the peanut gallery.  Could the checking to see if
a term matches be deferred until the user types a non-whitespace
character followed by either a whitespace character or a movement
operation?  If this is possible, it might speed things up a little.  I
don't know enough about how font-lock work to know if this reasonable.

I don't think you can do this in font-lock.  Font-lock has many clever
mechanisms to defer font-locking of stuff that is not currently on the screen
etc, but the current line is always done immediately, I think.

The problem with your proposal is also that you may be inserting or
deleting characters in the middle of a word, and a whitespace-based
approach would not work then.

- Carsten