[Orgmode] iCal Export Not Working to iCal 2.0.4

From: Alan Dove
Subject: [Orgmode] iCal Export Not Working to iCal 2.0.4
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:14:52 -0500

Hey, folks:

Before I get to the problem, I have to say that Org-mode is awesome. I just started using it recently, and suspect I'm going to be living inside this application pretty soon.

Unfortunately, I can't get the exported icalenders to work with iCal (Mac OS 10.4.8, iCal 2.0.4). Whenever I try to open an exported Org- mode .ics file, iCal gives me "This calendar file is unreadable. No events have been added to your iCal calendar." I've googled this problem extensively and looked through the mailing list archives, but didn't find anything about this. I'm starting to suspect that it's unique to this version of iCal.

So far, I've discovered that iCal underwent a transition at some point when I wasn't looking. My calendars used to live in ~/Library/ Calendars/, and they were just individual .ics files, e.g. Work.ics. Now they're squirreled away in cryptically named directories like: ~/ Library/Application Support/iCal/Sources/7B3B2392-10AE-4544- BC41-3D38FD428927.calendar/corestorage.ics. Besides the corestorage.ics file, there's also an Index file of unknown format, and an Info.plist property list file. Each calendar has its own such folder with these files.

I'm not wedded to iCal, especially with the bizarre file structure Apple seems to have adopted now, so if there are other icalendar- based organizers that are working well with Org-mode on the Mac platform, I'm all ears. On the other hand, if this is a real bug, it's probably worth fixing for the millions of folks out there who do rely on iCal. Let me know if I should post more information, and thanks again for developing this outstanding mode.

          --Alan

--
Alan Dove, Ph.D.
address@hidden