Re: [Orgmode] logging transitional states

From: Daniel J. Sinder
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] logging transitional states
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:14:25 -0800

Just to add a related idea which may be relevant to a new extension:

Even for 'type' TODO keywords, they are asymmetric.  There may be
any number of keywords that essentially mean 'to do', but only one
(DONE) that means 'done.'

I occasionally have TODO items that become moot or otherwise
uninteresting, but I want a record of the fact that they were
considered for action.  For these, I don't want to remove the 'TODO'
keyword altogether.  Rather, I could have keywords such as
WITHDRAWN, CANCELLED, SCRAPPED, etc.  These items are no longer
things I need 'to do', nor are they truly 'done' (i.e., the task was
not completed), but I might want to keep them with a record (e.g., a
closing note) of why I scrapped the idea/plan.

So, combined with Dmitri's suggestion, I guess I'm suggesting that
TODO keywords should be assigned one of 3 mutually exclusive categories:
1. Nothing done yet
2. Transitional -- Action taken, but not yet done; in-progress
3. Nothing left to do (whether truly 'done' or not)

Anything in category 2 or 3 would be eligible for completion
logging.  Anything in category 3 would not appear in agenda view
TODO lists, but could still be found via a TODO keyword search.

In an org file, they could be grouped like this:
#+TYP_TODO: {TODO NEXT MAYBE} {ORDERED PAYED RECEIVED} {DONE
WITHDRAWN SCRAPPED}

Dan