Re: NonGNU ELPA: Conditions for accepting a potential new package 'rmsbo

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA: Conditions for accepting a potential new package 'rmsbolt' ?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:21:24 -0500

>> -(defun rmsbolt--convert-file-name-to-system-type (file-name)
>> +(defun rmsbolt--convert-file-name-to-system-type (file-name) ;perhaps use
>> `convert-standard-filename'?
>
> Right now, a contributor is trying to improve this area/enable tramp
> support - so I'd like to keep this as stable as possible while they do
> so.  But this is a great suggestion - I'll let them know about this function
> and hopefully it will help them in their change as well!

I haven't looked at the code but I'll point out that
`convert-standard-filename` is meant to *define* the name of a "standard"
file, so its argument is usually very static.
It doesn't make sense to apply it to something like `buffer-file-name`
which is already supposed to be a valid filename.

Also, I see:

          (rmsbolt--convert-file-name-to-system-type
           (shell-quote-argument

which is very weird.  The reverse would make more sense.

Also I think `shell-quote-argument` should be applied to most parts of
`rmsbolt--demangle-command`.  This function is also odd in that it
calls `rmsbolt--convert-file-name-to-system-type` on the files
of the demangler but not those of the `mv`.

        Stefan