Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding Flycheck to NonGNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 05:16:45 +0200

On 21/02/2024 23:19, Stefan Kangas wrote:

Another thing is that we could use a good built-in macro to define
flymake backends.

Perhaps Steve Purcell (added to CC) could be convinced to contribute his
excellent flymake-flycheck[2] and flymake-easy[3] packages to core?
This would kill two (or more) birds with one stone, and also remove some
of the gripes that some users have with flymake.

There doesn't seem much point in having flymake-flycheck in the core when flycheck is still required to use most of its backends (they're part of the package). It also depends on flycheck at runtime anyway.

flymake-easy has another problem: IIUC it hasn't been updated for 10 years, and as such only uses the obsolete Flymake protocol (one we keep in flymake-proc.el for compatibility). It also employs defadvice.

Back to flymake-flycheck, I wonder if it would be a better idea to have it as part of the flycheck package itself (fewer things to install and enable separately). But then it's not obvious at which point the checkers should be made available to flymake. If that happens when flycheck-mode is enabled, that would be too late: at that point the user has seemingly indicated that they want to use flycheck as UI as well.

[2]  https://github.com/purcell/flymake-flycheck

[3]  https://github.com/purcell/flymake-easy