Re: Installing cond* in core

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Installing cond* in core
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 22:33:40 -0500

Rewriting clause by clause is an interesting idea.
However, there are problems to solve.

  > Throw away cond*-subpat.  Just rewrite

cond* has extended the patterns.
This would discard those extensions, so I have to say no.

Rewriting using pcase could be acceptable if those extensions are
implemeted in pcase.  You would be able to do that, if you want to.

  >     (cond*
  >      ((match* PAT FORM) THEN)
  >      . ELSE)

That method works for exiting match* clauses, and this

      > (cond*
      >  ((match* PAT FORM))
      >  . REST)

for empty no-exit match* clauses, But there are also nonempty ni-exit
clauses:

  >     (cond*
  >      (:no-exit (match* PAT FORM) THEN)
  >      . ALWAYS)