Re: Clojure mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Clojure mode
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 08:14:35 +0300

> From: Ryan Tate <ryantate@ryantate.com>
> Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:39:53 -0400
>
> rms 26 Aug 2023:
>
> > If we install a command called clojure-mode in the core Emacs, that will in
> > a sense be the preferred one.
>
> This is plainly a freedom 0 violation, intentionally thwarting a user’s wish
> to install a particular piece of software through the raw exercise of
> situational, incidental power never intentionally granted for this purpose.

Bringing up ideas cannot possibly violate any freedoms, so please
don't exaggerate.

> As a longtime user of (and onetime patch contributor to) emacs, and as an
> active user of clojure mode and CIDER, I find it disappointing this is even
> being considered. Build a version of the mode under another license if you
> wish but get your own name rather than stealing one.

You are in effect reviving an old thread that was a tempest in a
teapot almost from the beginning, as soon as the developers of
clojure-mode explicitly said they were not interested in donating
their package to Emacs.  (I think it was since then revealed that this
decision was at least in part based on incorrect and/or outdated
assumptions and impressions, but the decision still stands, although
we certainly hope it will be reconsidered.)  Moreover, you revive this
old thread with harsh and unkind words, reprimanding us for bringing
up ideas(!) whose only intent is to make Emacs better.  Please in the
future be kinder, and please remember that clojure-mode uses the power
and flexibility of Emacs developed and brought to you by those same
people whom you accuse here in crimes they didn't commit ("stealing
the fruits of labor" etc.).

Please in the future use kinder, more polite words when expressing
opinions here, TIA.