Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 19:44:05 +0100

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 7:38 PM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

> > What's wrong with C-c RET, easily typed ad as C-c C-m?  Or
> > just RET, for that matter?
>
> RET is already taken.

So is C-c C-c !

> C-c RET is not as discoverable and doesn't match
> any other mode.

And how does "matching another mode" matter here as this is a
completely new command for applying all diff hunks?  There aren't
any other modes to match!

> > Also why should a discussion on refactoring capabilities have
> > to kick off with the proposal for the destruction of one of
> > the most longstanding useful shortcuts in diff-mode?
>
> Because we have now a feature which uses diff-mode for confirming a
> refactoring?

A feature you don't use, right?  In your new word-diff-based confirmation
mode, when it comes, feel free to bind C-c C-c there at will.

> Anyway, I don't understand the strength of your reaction,

It'd royally mess up my workflow, especially when using Emacs -Q
across versions.

> but I'm not going to push this.

Thanks.