Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Danny Freeman
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 09:05:45 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:14:21 +0300
>> Cc: rms@gnu.org, joaotavora@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>>
>> But we don't always agree between ourselves. Not on this subject anyway.
>
> Those disagreements are not relevant when the issue is the inclusion
> of a package in core.

I'd like to think I have the best interests of Emacs at heart, both as
someone who has contributed a handful bug fixes to the core, as a
clojure developer in my day job, and as the maintainer of
clojure-ts-mode.

With that in mind, I won't stand in the way of a new clojure editing
mode for Emacs, in fact I suggested enabling lisp mode for clojure files
somewhere else in this thread. However, I will advocate for not
hijacking the name clojure-mode that has been in active use for 15
years.

There are a lot of users of clojure-mode, and there is no telling how a
builtin mode with the same name might break people's configurations and
workflows. Not to mention what it would do to the various packages that
(require 'clojure-mode), which those same developers use to get their
work done. Philip already made this point, but it is worth re-iterating.

I use clojure-mode and Emacs daily at my work. Nearly every other Emacs
user I have met in real life also uses clojure-mode. I have convinced a
couple of coworkers to abandon proprietary IDEs like intellij in favor
of using Emacs with clojure-mode. Even if it will never be included in
the core it's still a valuable package to Emacs users. IMO the name
clojure-mode should be left as is, and a new name be found for whatever
mode is created as a result of this thread.

--
Danny Freeman