Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 11:34:42 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Confirm. I use Github mostly via email, exactly how you described.
>> The annoying thing is inability to open new issues via email, though
>> "forge" package allows to do it from Emacs.
>
> Is that all that annoys you about GitHub's email?  What about the fact
> that you get a lot of useless notifications that cannot be selectively
> turned off?

I can turn them off selectively in my MUA.
IMHO, this is not any different from how I approach mailing lists - most
of the discussions on ML are not interesting to me and I simply filter
them out. I think Gnus scoring is relevant (although I use different
approach).

> ... What about the fact that most email messages have zero
> context, so you have no idea to which part of the discussion they are
> responding, unless you keep everything in mind?

That's not about Github. That's about discussion conventions. At least
some repositories make use of message quoting in the messages to clarify
what each message is replying to. This tends to happen in more complex
issue discussions with multiple points being discussed.

> Users of GitHub don't write their posts thinking about email
> recipients, they evidently assume that everyone is looking at the
> discussion via a Web browser.  Therefore, the email notifications are
> no more than indications of "something happened", they don't support
> intelligent and efficient participation in the discussion without the
> need of reading all of it via the browser.

I do not find much difference when reading Github discussion from
browser vs. from email. They are equally flat in both cases, sometimes
creating confusion. It is also not too different in IRC, IMHO; and, as
IRC shows, it can be solved, even given the flat structure limitations,
using appropriate community conventions.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,