Choice of bug tracker

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Choice of bug tracker
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 00:15:46 +0300

On 27/08/2023 21:46, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I don't know why you decided we don't agree on the goals.  I think we
do;
> the list of requirements for these tools was posted, and AFAIR was
> agreed upon.

"Agreed upon" maybe in the sense that the leadership sort-of-promised to seriously consider a bug tracker which would satisfy the whole list of them. Alas, there are none around.

I'm not sure how we could make progress without revisiting said requirements and our priorities.

If you do a good job, and the tools are useful, they _will_ be used,
and then a buy-in might be a no-brainer.  We will see when we get
there.

There is no point in me doing either, if the catching issue is how other
developers find it possible (or not) to work with specific tools.

Again, I don't understand how or why you arrived to that conclusion.
I don't think it is correct.

I might very well be mistaken in my conclusion (happy to be), but it should be easy to see how I arrived at it.

Should we go through another round of listing bug trackers and voting,
or something?

What for?  We need tools that satisfy certain requirements, why does
it matter how they are called?  If we find a set of tools that can
support our requirements, at least most of the important ones, we
could try using them, and only then it will be known whether the
workflows are good enough and whether the features that are missing
are critical.

The phrase "most of the important ones" gives me a bit of hope.

And voting is absolutely the worst method of getting anything
significant done around here.  If I used voting for decisions how to
implement bidi, I would still be discussing this on the (now defunct)
emacs-bidi list, instead of having a working implementation.

Voting would be one of the ways to arrive at those "only important requirements". It's not so bad because familiarity is helpful as well (as we're all aware here, all with existing habits and preferences).

Or someone in charge could revisit the list and separate the more important requirements from "less important" ones.

Important for allowing more people participate in the conversations.

That's not the main goal of these tools, as far as the maintainers are
considered.

If collecting user feedback and communicating with users is not the main
goal, and reducing maintainers' workload is the priority, I guess we
should stop asking for more code to be contributed in Emacs.

Please don't exaggerate and don't consider this a zero-sum game.  We
want tools that facilitate feedback, but their primary goal is to
allow development and maintenance of Emacs.  That should be a
no-brainer, and I'm frankly astonished this is something that needs to
be argued about.  What would be the purpose of collecting user
feedback and communicating with users if we cannot efficiently apply
that to development and maintenance??

We could apply that information less efficiently, I guess? Though whether it's more or less would strongly depend on individual habits.

At least as far as anything that can possibly live in ELPA is
concerned (meaning: clojure-ts-mode yes, project.el or xref no). Let
the developers use the trackers they are comfortable with, with
maximum flexibility. The proverbial "lean core".

I'm not aware that ELPA packages are forced to use debbugs.  We accept
reports about them on debbugs, but don't enforce that, at least AFAIK.

That's what I was saying: if we encouraged the use of ELPA more, the issue of our common bug tracker (and whether it's good or not) would be a little less important. Though probably not

BTW, if js-ts-mode and others lived in ELPA, there wouldn't be an issue
of Emacs 29.1 users having ts modes incompatible with the latest
grammars (they'd just upgrade Elisp code over ELPA).

Not true.  Moving a mode to ELPA doesn't solve that particular problem
(or any other one).

But it does. Makes it better, at least. Makes the solution more obvious to the user (I installed it from there -> there is an update -> I'll update it from there now).

On the contrary: having those not bundled would
mean users don't have an OOTB solution, and would need to invent their
own wheels.

You can't say "on the contrary" and then go on to state something orthogonal.

'M-x package-install' works, there is nothing to invent. But it would be good if the core leads paid more attention to it and ELPA in general.

 It also means the instructions about how to install the
relevant grammars would not have been in NEWS, so users would need to
discover that by themselves.

We could have another NEWS file for ELPA, annotated with timestamps and/or Emacs versions as well. A common NEWS feed is easy enough to do for the whole ELPA as well.

And the command we added to treesit.el
for installing the grammars would be missing as well.  Not to mention
the documentation in the user manual.

I think treesit.el (since it's inseparable from treesit.c) would still be in the core. Along with all its manual entries.

But ELPA packages can have their own manuals too, JFYI.

These are the immediate downsides of having a package outside of the
core.

Perhaps Lisp is denser than JavaScript or C, and et cetera, but it's
hard to argue that Emacs is more complex, or even comparable, to
Firefox.

No, it isn't hard.  Compare the number of domains whose expertise we
need, that's the important aspect.

They would obviously have more.

Yeah, right.

The list of the kinds of domain expertise we need in Emacs was posted
in the past, most of it is not needed for those other projects.

For... web browsers? They are known to be some of the most complex pieces of software around, these days.

And if they reached this size in 20 years rather than 40, it's
an evidence to better productivity rather than the opposite, right?

They have a Web browser, that's all.

Yeah, a program written in C/C++/Rust which contains an interpreter (and
multiple jit's) for a dynamic programming language and has most of its
interface written in it, supports user extensions in the same language,
support display of arbitrary files and has several related but different
mechanisms for guiding the visuals and the layout of said display. It
also supports bidi.

It's just a browser.  All the features you mention are used for Web
browsing.

And we're talking on the mailing list for "just a text editor".

According to
https://blog.mozilla.org/en/products/firefox/the-new-firefox-by-the-numbers/
(article from 2017),

     > 700 authors contributed code to Firefox over ~1 year

     80 of them were volunteers, "contributors from all over the world".

and by those 700 authors:

     75,342 files changed
     4,888,199 lines were added
     6,886,199 lines were changed

Counting just "authors" and "contributors" doesn't tell enough, but at
least show the comparable numbers for Emacs, okay?

I figured you have said numbers at hand, more or less. But they must be
lower.

I'm not sure they will be lower.

Number of lines changed over a year?

The above numbers are 2x and 3x above our total number of lines. And the number of changed files is 15x our total.

If you like I can try producing them, but what point would you be trying
to make?

My point is that Emacs maintenance is a much more complex and
difficult job than the job of those projects.

The point I was trying to make that a big and complex project with many
contributors (bigger than ours, more complex than ours, with more
developers than here) can be well-served by a workflow that is rather
different from ours.

This remains to be shown, because the raw unanalyzed numbers you've
presented don't provide sufficient evidence.

I'm not sure what other numbers I could provide, but if you ask specifically, I could try.

BTW, another project using gitlab I was thinking of is Mesa. Perhaps reading their moving announcement (from 5 years ago) would be of interest to some: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2018-May/195634.html There is a subsequent discussion thread as well.

There seems to be a fair amount of nostalgia there toward Bugzilla, in that thread (apparently from people who do like mailing list driven workflows for development).