Re: Android port

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 14:43:55 +0200

Po Lu wrote:
> > That being said, I'm reluctant to remove the printf-posix module at this
> > stage of the port's development.  Emacs has undergone extensive testing
> > on all supported versions of Android with the Gnulib printf, and hardly
> > any at all without.

In other words, you want to use the printf-posix module on Android but
not on mingw.

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Is there a way of running specific Gnulib tests only on some
> platforms (without setting the gl_cv_* variables)?

Your question makes me think of a way to use a module on one platform
but not on another platform. Namely, the Emacs' invocation of gnulib-tool
already contains --conditional-dependencies (see emacs/lib/gnulib.mk.in).
Combine this with the feature explained in
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/Extending-Gnulib.html

1) Add a file emacs/gnulib-local/modules/printf-for-emacs with the following
   contents:

POSIX compatible printf() function on selected platforms.

Depends-on:
printf-posix     [case "$host_os" in mingw*) false;; *) true;; esac]

   What this does is to add a module with a conditional dependency to
   'printf-posix'.

2) In the gnulib-tool invocation, add the option --local-dir=../gnulib-local
   (so that it references the emacs/gnulib-local/ directory), and add
   the module 'printf-for-emacs' to the module list.

I believe this solution will work unchanged for 10 or 20 years.

Bruno