Re: UTF-32

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: UTF-32
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 12:34:17 +0200

>> > There's no need.  We don't support character codepoints that are wider
>> > than 32 bits.
>>
>> IIUC UTF-32 (aka UCS-4) encodes only Unicode codepoints, and it encodes
>> every character as 4 bytes.
>>
>> https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr19/tr19-9.html

> Yes, I know.  Not sure why you posted this, though.  If you are saying
> that this somehow contradicts what I wrote above, please elaborate,
> because I don't see the contradiction.

I don't understand how "codepoints that are wider than 32 bits"
are related to UTF-32. UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32 all encode the same
repertoire (U+0000 to U+10FFFF).

Emacs knows about UTF-8 and UTF-16 but not about UTF-32. Is it an
unreasonable question to ask why that is so? (Just out of interest,
I do not challenge it, and I have no need for UTF-32.)