Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 16:38:18 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>,  Eli Zaretskii
>  <eliz@gnu.org>,  eggert@cs.ucla.edu
> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 08:49:44 -0400
>
> BTW, things like 8bit coding systems like koi8 are (and should be)
> becoming sufficiently rare nowadays in my experience that we could
> consider using non-single-letter thingies for them

This will require infrastructure changes, since currently the mnemonic
can only be a single character.  I'm not sure such a change (and the
difficulties it will cause, like how do you display the triplet, which
is today "UUU", on the modeline) would be justified.  We could instead
simply reuse the letters used by those ancient encodings, disregarding
the fact that they are already "in use".