Re: Emacs segfaults when handling wrong_type_argument backtrace

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Emacs segfaults when handling wrong_type_argument backtrace
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 18:51:22 +0000

Jonas Jelten <jj@sft.lol> writes:

> On 2023-03-30 12:30, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>>> Cc: Jonas Jelten <jj@sft.lol>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 09:36:25 +0000
>>>
>>> Eli if we want to avoid spurious bug reports due to stale eln-cache we
>>> can also increment ABI_VERSION in comp.c.  Not sure is something we want
>>> to do tho.  Please let me know if you think is appropriate in this case.
>> I don't think we need to increment ABI_VERSION to avoid bug reports,
>> no.  Yes, that places additional burden on my and your shoulders
>> (perhaps mainly on yours), but bumping the ABI_VERSION has its own
>> downsides (e.g., it requires recompilation of all the preloaded
>> files), and I don't think this is justified.  People who track
>> development versions and use that for production sessions will have to
>> be prepared to clean up their eln-cache from time to time, when
>> changes like this one are made.
>>

> After clearing the cache it seems to work, thanks, that was easy.
> I assumed that changes in the abi would result in a version bump :)

It results in Emacs changing the directory name of the eln under
eln-cache, this way Emacs would discard all the other elns and produce
new ones.

We usually do that when we change something low level in an incompatible
way in the eln format.  I agree with Eli we should not use that for
cases when a bug might have produced miscompiled elns.

BR

  Andrea