Re: c-ts-mode style customization

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: c-ts-mode style customization
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 09:19:53 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 16:44:31 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> Anyway, I agree with the general idea. I’ll add the option to set a rule
> >> alist.
> >

> > I gave you a concrete example of a disadvantage of using functions that
> > return data over just using plain data. The principle of least power
> > applies here.
>
> Still, it’s largely harmless, and could prove useful for some people, also
> it’s too late to remove it from emacs-29. And since it’s in emacs-29, I don’t
> want to go through the trouble removing it in emacs-30 in a
> backward-compatible way.

While all this is true, the question is how bad the problem is.
Daniel says the TS modes are unusable for him due to this issue.

Daniel, could you please post a recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", to
reproduce the "blinking" during editing you described up-thread?
Preferably while editing some code that one can meet reasonably
frequently in practice.  I'd like to play with the example and see
whether the problem is serious enough for us to try to solve it ASAP.
TIA.