Re: Why 'define-package' marked obsolete?

From: dalanicolai
Subject: Re: Why 'define-package' marked obsolete?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 10:10:02 +0100

Ah okay, I see.

So I assume that this means that as a function 'define-package' was
redundant, but we should still include a 'define-package' in the
-pkg.el file of a multi file package?

The initial comment of 'package.el' mentions that the -pkg.el file
should consist of 'a call to' define-package. I would say this
formulation is somewhat confusing/misleading then?

Or is the -pkg.el file just outdated? And did I miss the news about it?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 at 20:32, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 17:21:04 +0100
>>
>> Can I ask why 'define-package' was marked obsolete?
>
> It never did anything useful.  Its original implementation just
> signaled an error.

I just looked up the definition from when package.el was merged[0], and it
did stuff, mainly modifying `package-alist'.

[0] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el?id=44198b6ee97bcb0ac88a5cadd1bf9b62048d0156#n513

--
Philip Kaludercic