Re: Why 'define-package' marked obsolete?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Why 'define-package' marked obsolete?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:58:11 +0000

dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com> writes:

> HI all!
>
> Can I ask why 'define-package' was marked obsolete?
> I can not find any information about it. I have searched the log,
> where I could only find the respective commit
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=ade7a212a882540178d9504e7e0bd3be3bf1fd41>
> .
>
> I have also searched the Emacs news for versions 28, 29 and 30,
> but also there, I can find no information.
>
> Also in the comments of package.el itself I can not find any information
> about it.
>
> Is it documented anywhere?

`Define-package' is not an expression that is to be evaluated, it is
just a (backwards-compatible) formatting for -pkg.el files.  If you take
a look at `package-process-define-package' and
`package-load-descriptor', you will see that the arguments are actually
passed to `package-desc-from-define' which is a `package-desc'
constructor.

AFAIU the changes you are interested in where made in the commit
a7270fb20feaedc5dc6c4e0936714bdb167062f7.

--
Philip Kaludercic