Re: Indentation and gc

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 12:47:29 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Noted. Can we measure fragmentation from Elisp?
>
> I think only on glibc platforms, where we have malloc-info.  The
> output will need to be post-processed by some code, based on expert
> knowledge of what the numbers mean.

But can we get the output from Elisp? `malloc-info' docstring says that
the output is done directly to srderr, which we cannot (?) access from
Elisp.

>> Does memory-limit include the fragmented memory segments?
>
> I think it does, although it's system-dependent.  It's basically what
> 'top' shows as VSIZE.

At least, it can indirectly demonstrate the impact of GC threshold onto
Emacs memory footprint. I guess it is what we worry about at the end.
Or does the fragmentation cause other severe effects in addition to
higher memory usage?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,