Re: New (only?) extensible logging package for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New (only?) extensible logging package for Emacs
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 16:39:59 +0200

> From: Matúš Goljer <matus.goljer@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 14:28:31 +0100
>
> :emergency = fatal
> :error     = error
> :warning   = warn
>    ...     = info
> :debug     = debug
>    ...     = trace
>
> In Emacs, I guess info is basically `message`, so maybe this "warnings"
> appender should `message` info level events.  Trace could go to debug or
> be ignored.
>
> I like to have more than one level of "debug", in some situations you
> want to only see some narrow part of the code at even higher level.

I hope the log will end up in Emacs buffers, or at least that there
will be an option to do so.  While other logging frameworks are
designed to work with programs that leave log files, in Emacs it is
customary to have the log in a buffer (and then the user can save that
buffer if needed).  Direct writes of debug info to files is rare in
Emacs (see open-dribble-file and open-termscript as about the only
examples I'm aware of).

Thanks.