Re: (M)Elpa & info/diir files ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: (M)Elpa & info/diir files ?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 13:34:01 -0700

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In an Emacs package that has a README.org, it's easy to build a Makefile
>> which generates an .info file for inclusion in the package.  However,
>> does this imply that the .info file must be checked into the git repo
>> for (M)Elpa to pick it up for inclusion in the package?  Is this the
>> standard?  I don't like checking in derivative files unnecessarily.
>
> I can only speak for {GNU,NonGNU} ELPA, but no the build system can
> generate .info files from .org or .texi files (which also means that you
> don't need to check in .texi files if your manual is written using
> org-mode and exported using ox-texinfo).

A few questions:
1. Does Elpa kick the Makefile in a package?
2. How does it know what arguments to give Make?  Package recipe file?
3. How does Elpa ensure it is picking up (say) the right Org for org->texi?

MELPA.org has some documentation in its Github repo.  Does ELPA have
similar documentation? If so, where?

> But on a different note, I would advise against using the README file as
> the manual.  The README is IMO better suited as a brief explanation of a
> package with a few pointers than an exhaustive resource.  When I want to
> check out a package using C-h P, I'd rather have the content fit on my
> screen without having to scroll.

Understood.  Goal was to get the flow working.  Then we can create a
PKG.org file from which a small README.org (or .md) and full PKG.info
can be generated.

--
David Masterson