Re: (M)Elpa & info/diir files ?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: (M)Elpa & info/diir files ?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:23:41 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> In an Emacs package that has a README.org, it's easy to build a Makefile
> which generates an .info file for inclusion in the package.  However,
> does this imply that the .info file must be checked into the git repo
> for (M)Elpa to pick it up for inclusion in the package?  Is this the
> standard?  I don't like checking in derivative files unnecessarily.

I can only speak for {GNU,NonGNU} ELPA, but no the build system can
generate .info files from .org or .texi files (which also means that you
don't need to check in .texi files if your manual is written using
org-mode and exported using ox-texinfo).

But on a different note, I would advise against using the README file as
the manual.  The README is IMO better suited as a brief explanation of a
package with a few pointers than an exhaustive resource.  When I want to
check out a package using C-h P, I'd rather have the content fit on my
screen without having to scroll.

--
Philip Kaludercic