Re: Qt can now survive Wayland compositor restarts

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Qt can now survive Wayland compositor restarts
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 19:37:22 +0800

Arsen Arsenović <arsen@aarsen.me> writes:

> It would be indeed.
>
> The likelihood of crashes would be lowered if the display server event
> loop is not kept busy by the Elisp interpreter, though, which is why a
> separate thread would help (for instance, I suspect that the reason I
> see crashes when sending mail on occasion is because smtpmail blocks the
> main thread and a bunch of mouse events get queued up in the meanwhile,
> causing libwayland to give up).

If the display server crashes, the connection is closed, and GDK gives
up when it calls `wl_display_flush' at some point and gets SIGPIPE.
It's not related to events being queued up or whatever.

> In either case, the better fix would be teaching GTK not to do silly
> things on error conditions, and instead consult the user, but I'm not
> sure how doable that is.

Very easy, as was proven when this feature actually worked as intended
sometime during the 2.14 series.  It's just that the GTK developers need
their power fix and refuse to actually fix the problem, because ``only
Emacs needs this fixed.''