Re: Qt can now survive Wayland compositor restarts

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Qt can now survive Wayland compositor restarts
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 12:23:28 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Arsen Arsenović <arsen@aarsen.me> writes:
>
>> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>>> Likewise for the Haiku and Android ports, FWIW.
>>
>> Reassuring, thanks for the info.  I'll try making some time to do the
>> same for PGTK, though I can't promise anything.
>
> Do what?

A separate UI thread.

> If you want to fix the GTK crash, you will have to run the GTK stuff in
> a separate *process*.  Now that would be a real pain.

It would be indeed.

The likelihood of crashes would be lowered if the display server event
loop is not kept busy by the Elisp interpreter, though, which is why a
separate thread would help (for instance, I suspect that the reason I
see crashes when sending mail on occasion is because smtpmail blocks the
main thread and a bunch of mouse events get queued up in the meanwhile,
causing libwayland to give up).

In either case, the better fix would be teaching GTK not to do silly
things on error conditions, and instead consult the user, but I'm not
sure how doable that is.

--
Arsen Arsenović