Re: Info, dir, and Emacs packages ?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Info, dir, and Emacs packages ?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 10:33:10 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm missing something.  When and what causes a package directory to get
> added to Info-directory-list? I've constructed a simple .info and dir
> for an existing Emacs package I'm playing with, but, when I copy them to
> the installed package and restart Emacs, it doesn't get added to the
> Info-directory-list, so isn't seen by 'info'.  Any help?

In `package-activate-1' (invoked by `package-activate' (invoked by
`package--activate-all' using `package--alist' (which uses
`package-load-all-descriptors'))) you will find this snippet:

      ;; Add info node.
      (when (file-exists-p (expand-file-name "dir" pkg-dir))
        ;; FIXME: not the friendliest, but simple.
        (require 'info)
        (info-initialize)
        (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list pkg-dir))

So unless the dir or the .info file is broken (and this is an issue
caused by info), it might be that the package is not being detected?

--
Philip Kaludercic