Re: Indentation and gc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 08:38:58 +0200

> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> Cc: spacibba@aol.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 20:23:18 +0100
>
> > This can only be done around specific portions of code known in
> > advance to be long and GC-intensive.  I don't think this kind of
> > technique can be used in the situation described by the OP.
>
> This is at the end: My emacs simply has a ~25x higher gc threshold than
> normal and allows more caching of process output.
>
> That helps a lot with lsp (language servers).

The enlarged threshold should be carefully tuned to the user's Emacs
usage patterns and to the amount of available virtual memory, to avoid
applying too much memory pressure on the system, which could
potentially lead to OOM killer doing its gruesome job.

So, instead of advising random users to raise the GC threshold to
levels that are (perhaps) suitable for your configuration and usage
patterns, we should IMO teach them how to tune the threshold to
theirs, and leave the setting to them.