Re: Android port

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 07:50:58 +0800

"Etienne Prud'homme" <e.e.f.prudhomme@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Does this port allow Emacs to access files outside app-specific
> storage?  When trying the Sourceforge build, I was unable to access
> files outside `/data/data/org.gnu.emacs`.  It looks to me the
> application doesn't ask for any storage permissions.
>
> I was surprised to see so many things working.  Thanks for your work.
>
> Etienne Prud'homme

Emacs does not ask for any permissions by default.  You must enable
access to storage on Android 10 and earlier, and access to ``All files
and media'' on Android 11 and later.  This is described in the Android
appendix of the Emacs manual, which I suggest you read.

> Trying to use it with no a touch keyboard is not really efficient for
> me (yet), but I didn't see any functions that would ask Android to
> allow file system access.

Why is that?
The on-screen keyboard should be displayed whenever necessary.

Thanks.