Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 01:57:19 +0100

Ho Dmitry and Joao

On March 6, 2023 3:09:40 PM GMT+01:00, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>On 06/03/2023 01:40, John Yates wrote:
>> For languages that do not distinguish declaration from definition,
>> another alternative is to have both key bindings reference the same
>> find-definition functionality.

Yes please, just fall back to find-definition (or find-references) + a warning
when find-declaration or the the others are not supported? It is simpler and
practical.

Alternatively there could be a default fallback command similar to
find-references but reordering to list definitions first (just an example)

>I think I would generally prefer for the "find declarations" binding to end
>with an error when unsupported rather than repeat an existing command which is
>already accessible through an easier key binding.
>
>Otherwise some users might waste time wondering over the difference, testing,
>and comparing -- I myself would, probably.

Before binding to a key maybe let's start again with the  simpler: to add them
in the right click context menu... And we can find a binding later.