Re: Merging feature/android

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 14:58:35 +0800

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> That's not true for JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, GnuTLS, and probably other
> libraries.

I can't find any other examples.  We even make things such as ACL
support and SELinux support `ifavailable', even though they add support
for operating system features, without which functions such as copy-file
do not exactly work correctly; without libselinux, for instance, file
contexts will not be preserved during copies.

> I routinely run into the sort of messages that Eli is talking about if
> I run plain 'configure' on some platforms. Solaris 10, for example,
> typically doesn't have a JPEG library installed. It's not that big a
> deal to read the error message at the end of the failed 'configure',
> sigh, and re-run configure with the --with-jpeg=ifavailable option
> that 'configure' suggests.

We're not talking about image libraries here, but something extremely
basic, be it window system support (libXpm) or a C compiler.

Anyway, since this support is going to be made `ifavailable' by default
for Android, what makes other systems which don't use GCC any different?

On newer versions of Android, modules don't work anyway because security
policy prohibits calling dlopen or exec on files in application writable
directories, but that is besides the point.