Re: Turning c-ts-mode.el, go-ts-mode.el, csharp-ts-mode.el etc into :cor

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Turning c-ts-mode.el, go-ts-mode.el, csharp-ts-mode.el etc into :core packages?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:19:43 -0800

> On Mar 7, 2023, at 7:06 AM, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> On 06/03/2023 00:41, Yuan Fu wrote:
>> What are the implications of turning something into a :core package? I can’t
>> find much description of it. If my understanding of it is correct, I think
>> it would be beneficial to make new tree-sitter modes into :core packages.
>> Right now they are pretty bare-bones, and haven’t been “battle-tested”.
>> Making them core packages would allow us gradually improve them and fix
>> errors that come up. Those files I mentioned in the subject are new files,
>> if that matters. But I don’t know if there are any downsides of turning
>> something into a :core package.
>
> Most of the associated overhead is having to keep in mind the version of
> Emacs that each packages advertises compatibility with. Which makes using new
> features (or fixes) from future Emacs versions harder (requiring versions
> checks, etc).

I wish package.el has something like “install last version of xxx package
compatible with Emacs yyy”. Then we can just bump the minimum required Emacs
version when a new Emacs release come out, and use new features. Anyway,
checking versions to use new Emacs feature is IMO an acceptable price to pay.

> We could also make treesit.el into a :core package at some point, if any of
> the packages will need some new changes. Although this one will likely depend
> on changes in treesit.c even more often. But for this package, at least, it
> might be worth it to set the "Version:" header in advance.

Maybe, thought I don’t think we’ll need to anytime soon.

Yuan