Re: displaying margins leads to Emacs hanging

From: dalanicolai
Subject: Re: displaying margins leads to Emacs hanging
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 23:51:40 +0100

Somehow, annoyingly, I missed this last message earlier.
But I'd still prefer to thank you for your instructive answers.

Indeed, I have read about the evaporate property before,
but I have not used it before, so that I forgot about it.
I'm more or less sure that it will stick this time...

On Sat, 25 Feb 2023 at 14:42, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:17:24 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> This is great! Indeed, it works perfectly now.
> I think using the margins is just much more elegant.
>
> Although, I might have read about this behavior somewhere,
> obviously, it was not clear to me that `erase-buffer` does not
> remove the overlays. Maybe a warning/reminder about this could
>  be added in the 'erase-buffer' docstring? What do you think?
> I would be happy to create a patch for that (if desired).

This is not related to erasing a buffer, it is related to deleting
text "covered" by the overlay.  What happens in that case depends on
the 'evaporate' property of the overlay, which is already described in
the ELisp manual, see the node "Overlay Properties" there.