Re: Merging feature/android

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Merging feature/android
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 13:17:00 -0800

On 2023-03-02 02:19, Po Lu wrote:

Paul, the Android port really needs the `printf-posix' and
`vasprintf-posix' modules (as Android's printf ranges from ``completely
broken'' to ``just missing %td'' depending on the OS version being
used), but stpncpy and getline are only ``nice-to-have''s.  Is there any
downside to depending on those additional gnulib modules?  And will they
build on MS Windows as well?

They should build. They'll bring in a lot of support modules, but if we play our cards right those modules will be built only on Android so it's only a matter of library code clutter.

I tried multiple times, but the gnulib stuff kept trying to include
generated headers from the wrong copy of gnulib, so in the end I
couldn't find any way around having to keep two copies of gnulib
in-tree.

This should be doable by having two build directories, but only one copy of the Gnulib source should be needed. The two build directories would have different config.h files. You'd run 'configure' twice (or have two 'configure' files if you want to be fancier). That sort of thing.