Re: server.el test failures

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: server.el test failures
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 14:15:49 -0800

On 3/1/2023 12:22 AM, Robert Pluim wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 11:41:41 -0800, Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> said:
     Jim> +  ;; When running in a batch session, we can't create a GUI frame.

Itʼs not that we canʼt, itʼs that we shouldnʼt. If we install a SIGIO
handler and run the test with DISPLAY set, a GUI frame appears
briefly.

Well, since we don't have a SIGIO handler (and merely adding one wouldn't be a useful change, it seems), I'd say "can't" applies for now at least. :)

But it would probably make sense to expand this comment to explain *why*, since it's not as informative as it could be...

     Jim> +  (when noninteractive
     Jim> +    (push '(display . nil) parameters))
     Jim> +

I think that might be better off using `alist-get' + `setf' to avoid
having two `display' elements in the parameters.

Would that be safe? Since 'parameters' is an argument, we don't actually know how it was created or if modifying in-place would be ok. If it were just a regular quoted list, using 'setf' could cause problems.