Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: sweep

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: sweep
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:02:10 -0400

  > I am not opposed to building on top of `prolog-mode`, but since
  > `sweep-mode` has access to the actual SWI-Prolog runtime including
  > notably its parser, we can (and do) provide better implementations for
  > many of the features of `prolog-mode`, at the cost of targeting only
  > SWI-Prolog where `prolog-mode` is more implementation agnostic.

That makes sense.  But I think there is something I don't undersand.
Some of what you said hints that SWEEP has other parts that don't run
in Emacs.  Is that true?  If so, what do they do?

  > Currently you would get an error while loading `sweep.el` because
  > `sweep--ensure-module` is executed on load which tries to find and load
  > the dynamic module.  This is probably not ideal.  I wonder if it would
  > be preferable to suggest fetching and building the dynamic module, or
  > just to fail more gracefully...

This may try to answer that question, but it takes various things
about SWI-Prolog for granted, which naturally I don't know.

What in the world is "the dynamic module"?  What language is it
written in?  What does it do?  What relation does it have with SWEEP?
What relation does it have with Emacs?

And what does this have to do with copyright assignments for Emacs
Lisp code?

  > > Also, I am guessing this is the reason you want to add it to NonGNU ELPA
  > > instead of GNU ELPA, right?

  > Yes, as I would currently prefer not to require SWI-Prolog contributors
  > to assign copyrights in order to contribute to this project.

When people want to contribute to Emacs, we don't know or ask whether
they are SWI-Prolog contributors or not.  Indeed, it isn't pertinent.
We follow our practices.

If you want to contribute to SWI-Prolog, you should follow the
SWI-Prolog practices.  If you want to contribute to Emacs, you should
follow the Emacs practices.  That way, everything is clear, and each
project is autonomous.