Re: master fe7c015b20: Support XFCE in wallpaper.el

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master fe7c015b20: Support XFCE in wallpaper.el
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 15:50:31 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
>> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>>   thievol@posteo.net
>> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 14:13:15 +0800

>> > It would be good to have at least the important properties accepted by
>> > x-window-property documented in the doc string.
>>
>> But those properties aren't specified by Emacs, they're specified by
>> third-party specifications, like this:
>>
>>   https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
>>
>> or
>>
>>   https://x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html
>>
>> maybe it would be better to put a link to those specifications in the
>> doc string, instead of simply mentioning the many important properties?
>
> Yes, of course, mentioning those URLs will go a long way towards
> filling the current gap.  If different environments/desktops have
> their separate specs, I think it is best to have them all mentioned,
> each one with the names of the environments/desktops for which it is
> relevant.
>
> Thanks.

Different desktops do have their own properties, but they are too
numerous to list, unstandardized, and not really relevant for Emacs
users.  If the following text looks OK, I will add it to the doc string
of `x-window-property' soon:

X allows an arbitrary number of properties to be set on any window.
However, properties are most often set by the window manager or other
programs on the root window or FRAME's X window in order to communicate
information to Emacs and other programs.  Most of these properties are
specified as part of the Extended Window Manager Hints and the
Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual, which are located here:

   https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html

and

  https://x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html