Re: master 94380420e2: Support Noto Emoji font as fallback

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 94380420e2: Support Noto Emoji font as fallback
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:54:45 +0300

> From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh
>  <lumarzeli30@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:10:12 +0530
> Cc: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Although I think for general enough usage they are fine.
> If the user wants they can explicitly change them.
> Their goal is "no more tofus" and I think they are achieving that.

That is true, but AFAIU modern systems come with font coverage that is
not bad at all, including for rare and ancient scripts.

I think we should limit specifying particular fonts in our fontset
setup only to those cases where either the "normal" search for
suitable fonts is likely to fail, or if some font is really superior
to the alternatives.