Re: master 101f3cf5b9: Add support for user edits to VC command argument

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 101f3cf5b9: Add support for user edits to VC command arguments
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:55:10 -0400

>> Robert Pluim [2022-09-22 11:25:31] wrote:
>>>     Sean> +(defvar vc-want-edit-command-p nil
>>>     Sean> +  "If non-nil, let user edit the VC shell command before running
>>> it.")
>>
>> BTW, `-p` stands for "predicate", IOW *functions* that return booleans.
>
> I thought that in Lisp we often call boolean values predicates too, even
> though that violates the usage of 'predicate' in mathematics.
>
> Is there some other convention for booleans like this one?

Usually we don't need it because the name says it, like
`vc-let-user-edit-commands`.

There is a convention to use `-flag` for boolean variables.  I have
a strong dislike of that convention, tho, because all too often what
starts as a boolean var is later extended to allow for more variety
of values.

There is another convention the use `-mode` for boolean variables, when
they are (very) exposed to the user and defined via `define-minor-mode`.
I like this convention but I don't think it should apply here.

        Stefan