Re: [ELPA] New package: toc-mode

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: toc-mode
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:37:32 +0000

dalanicolai <dalanicolai@gmail.com> writes:

> This package has been for a while on MELPA now, but it would be nice if it
> could be moved to ELPA. The source can be found at
> https://github.com/dalanicolai/toc-mode.
>
> I would like to mention that the PDF functionalities largely depend on
> pdf-tools, which is not on
> ELPA of course (doc-view unfortunately does not provide the right
> features). I am not sure
> if that somehow is a problem.

Is there a reason it doesn't depend on pdf-tools?

> The package description is:
>
> Create, cleanup, add and manage Table Of Contents (TOC) of pdf and djvu
> documents with Emacs
>
> TOC-mode is a package for creating, cleaning, adding and managing the Table
> Of Contents (TOC) of pdf and djvu documents.
>

> Quite some (usually older, but also newer) digital books, come without a
> digital Table of Contents.
>
> However, such TOC is often quite convenient to have (especially for
> researchers/students who would like to skim/navigate books quickly).
>

> This package provides functionalities for easily extracting and preparing
> from text contents, and subsequently adding to documents, digital Tables of
> Contents.

I guess it sounds nice to have.

> Please let me know if the package is suitable for ELPA, and then what else
> is needed to make it

The first thing that would have to be changed is the "Version" header.
It is currently set to "0" which is a MELPA-ism but ELPA interprets as
"unreleased".  Just bump it to whatever version greater than 0 that you
prefer.  Every time you bump the version tag, a new release will be
built and distributed.