Re: master 3fd2b00a4b 2/2: ; * Makefile.in: Add "make bootstrap configur

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 3fd2b00a4b 2/2: ; * Makefile.in: Add "make bootstrap configure=default" as a first choice.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 17:02:23 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,  Stefan Kangas
>  <stefan@marxist.se>,  Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 21:37:01 +0800
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > But why use the name "bootstrap" for something like that?  "Bootstrap"
> > implies that it's built from the ground up.
>
> I always thought the "bootstrap" implied building the Lisp part of Emacs
> from the ground up.

No, "bootstrap" means just that: build a program when some components
needed for the build are missing.  Thus, "bootstrap" is not
necessarily supposed to make sense when those components are present.

We are actually using "bootstrap" in a different role: as a build from
a clean tree.  (And when you actually build a fresh checkout, it is
nowadays unnecessary to say "make bootstrap", as GNUmakefile does TRT
in that case if you just say "make".)

So maybe we should repurpose "bootstrap", and rename it while at that,
to something like "clean-build" or somesuch.