Re: Emacs 28.2 released

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Emacs 28.2 released
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 11:59:35 -0500

On 13 Sep 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 10:29:36 -0500

My proposal was that the email announcement should always contain a link to release notes, so that those who see the email can easily go straight to more details about what's in the new release.

If so, I'm not sure I agree. Other projects do that, or even post the entire contents of NEWS as part of the announcement. But our NEWS is so large that posting it really makes no sense, and I won't expect
anyone to read the entire NEWS file, only search it for issues
relevant to him/her.

This is one case where doing what others do makes no sense.

I was not suggesting including the contents of the NEWS file. I was suggesting including a *link to* the NEWS file, so that those who are interested can follow the link.

That is what others do -- I can't think of another project that doesn't do this in their release announcement emails, in fact -- and I think we should do it too.

Best regards,
-Karl