Re: "Eager macro-expansion failure: (excessive-variable-binding)"

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: "Eager macro-expansion failure: (excessive-variable-binding)"
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 16:16:06 +0200

14 sep. 2022 kl. 14.18 skrev Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:

>  ELC      ../lisp/abbrev.elc
> Local variable error: (error "Eager macro-expansion failure:
> (excessive-variable-binding)")

I got it too, debugged it and have now raised the limits. This came out:

The addition of vc-git-annotate-switches to .dir-locals.el in 3ddf1a9 had the
effect of triggering the load of a raft of vc packages during byte-compilation,
because that variable has the autoloaded `vc-git-annotate-switches-safe-p` as
its `safe-local-variable` property.

This isn't ideal (probably makes build times go up a bit, maybe Lars can see it
on his graphs?) but fixing the build was the first order of the day, and
raising limits to those previously only used for nativecomp builds seemed to be
a prudent move since they are effectively "pre-approved" in some sense.

I suggest we do something about the vc-git-annotate-switches problem anyway for
general performance reasons, but that we keep the higher limits because what
deity are we trying to please by having them too low for comfort anyway?

No blame on Stefan Kangas for adding the variable; it was done with the best of
intentions and consequences difficult to foresee.