Re: "Eager macro-expansion failure: (excessive-variable-binding)"

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: "Eager macro-expansion failure: (excessive-variable-binding)"
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:15:01 +0200

Mattias EngdegÄrd <mattias.engdegard@gmail.com> writes:

> This isn't ideal (probably makes build times go up a bit, maybe Lars
> can see it on his graphs?)

Hm...  yes, it seems like this (or something else recently) increased
the "make -j32" build time from 1:08m to 1:17m, which is pretty
significant.  I'm doing further rebuilds to see if that's indeed the
culprit.

> I suggest we do something about the vc-git-annotate-switches problem
> anyway for general performance reasons,

It's a general issue with adding variables that are supposed to be safe
file-local in this way, I guess?  Perhaps we should instead `put' the
safe-local stuff in a central file that doesn't trigger loading the file
where the variable is defined?