Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 17:20:38 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 20:58:53 +0700
> Cc: incal@dataswamp.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> * M-x some-hypothetical-other-command RET.
> * It pauses for a while, stores a data file, has an immediate effect.
> * You see the effect, decide that it is good, put
> (some-hypothetical-other-command) in your init file.
> * On the next startup, it reads the file (which is fast), applies the
> data (which is supposedly also fast), has the same effect.
>
> The file name could include some relevant factors such as the terminal
> type on which the data depends.

You suggest semi-automatically saving the generated code in the init
file, instead of the user copying it there manually?  Then I have two
comments:

  . IME users don't particularly like commands writing into their
    files
  . the difference between these two patterns is in this case barely
    perceptible

(And yes, it has to be the init file, because if users dislike us
writing into the init file, they dislike us writing to additional
files even more.)

Bottom line: sounds like a tempest in a teapot.  Especially since the
two users who requested this already said they were satisfied.